Thursday, September 1, 2011

Do you "Dim Sum"?

It's been a long time since I last share you something from the kitchen.  Well, I did cook a few dishes, but just didn't manage to snap the photos as there're guests around the house...(Did I told you my far away aunt come over for a short stay and my In-Law come over too?) I guess it's not polite to ask the guests to stop thieir chopsticks and let me a photo session of the dishes!  Wouldn't it?

Anyway, I made a 'small snack' during the tea time yesterday, and I managed to keep a few to share with you. This is what I made...it's not perfect but it's easy, simple and Yum Yum!

It's steam chicken and shrimp dumpling.  It's a kind of "Dim Sum". 



Dim Sum is is a Cantonese term for snack. However, dim sum more typically refers to a style of Chinese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food, traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates.  Dim Sum if direct translate from Cantonese means "Touching (Dim) Heart (Sum)", it most favorable especially among the elders Chinese people.  Normally, we have Dim Sum for breakfast but it could be brunch or late supper! Normally, we will say to go for "Yum Cha" - Drink Tea, when we go to a dim sum restaurant.




For the recipe..I got this one from http://rasamalaysia.com a local food website, you can find all sort of Malaysian cuisines here.





Ingredients:
1/2 lb chicken thigh (deboned and skinless)
8 medium shrimp (peeled, deveined, and diced into small pieces)
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
2 dashes white pepper
1/2 tablespoon corn starch
1/2 tablespoon egg white
A pinch of salt
Round wonton skin
Carrot and some black fungus (finely chopped) and peas 
Method:
Using a mini food processor, ground the chicken but make sure that it’s corsely ground. Mix the chicken with other ingredients and seasonings and set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Place about a tablespoon of filling on each wrapper, wrap up the whole thing or any dumpling shape you familiar with.  Steam for about 5 minutes. Serve hot.  (The wonton skin dry easily when cold off so better enjoy when it's warm, I love mine with some chili sauce!)


*P/S - My aunt 'redo' the dim sum the next day...she said the dim sum wrapping with wonton skip should be wrap this way...Hmm... she is using the same ingredient and the method I mentioned above...but some how, it taste much nicer!  I still got a lot to learn....



Eat * Love * Enjoy

PC

Sharing this with...
  Cookin' for my CaptainPhotobucket Lovely Crafty HomeMy Repurposed LifeCherished Treasures”=I Heart Nap Time >Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Steamed dumplings are one of my favorite foods, but I never tried to make it myself...I just buy them. This looks easier than I thought. Thenks, PC, I need to try it!

    I laughed at your mention of asking your guests to stop eating so you can take pictures. Why not? They should be honored to be in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy! I know what I am eating later today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH this is making my mouth water!! I am keeping this recipe for sure and going to give it a try! I so enjoyed reading about "Dim Sum" . . . I never really understood what it meant!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...drop a line so I can visit your blog too!