Friday, March 30, 2012

The 'Walnut' Rose Tutorial

Hi, recently I was so obsessed with roses made from
ribbon or satin fabric...

I interest in making them is at the peak point when I saw this hair pin
and I am so so so WANT IT!



I search high and low for the tutorial and finally
a blog friend from Korean give me some great tips in 
how to make them.

My Korean friend call this flower "Walnut rose"

This is my first attempt using some leaf over satin fabric
It's about 1 inch in height and width






Up to date...I have made about 30 roses...in big or small
and I found the stiffness of the fabric you use is very important.

The stiffer the ribbon / fabric will make the shape of the rose
more neater.  And the tension when you roll the rose and
will definitely affect the end result.

And I'm still need to polish up my skill. 
But for those who are already familiar with fabric rose
I guess, this will be an easy one.

Whatever it may be, the result is definitely worth the hard job!

Now, the tutorial...

Start the rose like any other fabric rose

after rolling the rose bud...
you need to bend the 'triangle' backward as below



perform a run stitch on the edge

including the bottom layer as well
this is the bottom view

repeat this 'triangle' folding process


And secure with the same run stitch

Slightly pull the thread to form 'petal' along the way
the more the ruffles, the fluffier the rose with turn out
If your fabric is really stiff... don't worry about it...
just make sure your have a sharp triangular shape...


I made about 5 ~ 7  petals for a rose bud
(like the green rose in the hair pin above)
maybe 11 ~ 13 for a big rose
(The violet one for example)


After complete forming the petals... roll the petal into shape
always keep the threading edge at bottom

Roll and secure with a stitch or glue gun..

Check the top view to make sure you happy with the pattern...



the bottom view


done!

What do you think?
I think I got the black roses similar with the 'green rose'
I like earlier... the black ribbon is stiffer...
and take a look at the yellow one...
the shape is slightly different because the ribbon is
much softer and thin.

Good luck in trying!

Love

PC

This project is featured at
Totally Tutorials Blog

Linking this tozz


homeworkConfessions of a Stay At Home MommyLil\'Luna
http://www.thethriftyhome.comPhotobucketKatie's Nesting SpotCraft Junkie Too FriendSuzysSitcom.comFun Stuff FridaysDesign Dazzlehttp://www.findingfabulousblog.com/
Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingBoogieboard CottageI Heart Nap TimecraftPhotobucketToday's Creative BlogOur Delightful HomeTuesday To Do FEaturedDIY under $5Beyond The Picket FencePhotobucketDIY Show OffMakingThe Southern InstituteUndertheTableandDreamingBWS tips buttonPink Hippo Partyspread the joy

39 comments:

  1. wao, so beautiful..seems complicated but perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a detailed tutorial, dear PC! The roses are perfectly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful roses, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through Sew Many Ways & am so glad. Looked around awhile & I have to say, you are simply amazing! Will be back to visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! I love all the detail in this tutorial :) Thank you for linking up at successful Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful - I'm pinning this one!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for linking up your beautiful sewing projects on my Dare to Share party. I love them. http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/03/dare-to-share-linky-party.html I really like your blog and I am following back.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty flowers. Good for brooch, a pin and embellishment on dresses. Your tutorials are always detailed. Your girls have your genes. They're talented as you. I read your last impressive post of stitches - lovey as well the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, they are so perfect looking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tutorial! Such a gorgeous rose.

    robin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very pretty and useful too. I am sure we can use it on many different things. Thank you.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has got to be the cutest thing ever! I LOVE it!
    I also wanted to let you know that your comments really made my day and I am so thankful for your sweet words!

    Best
    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fantastic tutorial!! I would love it if you could link it up to Fantabulous Friday going on now!

    http://littlebeckyhomecky.blogspot.com/2012/04/fantabulous-friday-7.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have been featured! Come grab a feature button :)
    http://www.heatherlyloves.com/2012/04/sunday-round-up-4.html
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi PC, hope you've having a great Easter weekend!
    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured your seams lollies on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 96
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the tutorial I am a newbie here from Ohio came over from Under the table and dreaming blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so sweet! You must be a patient woman as your projects seem very teeny tiny! I admire you greatly as I am not sure I would have the tenacity needed! Nice job and a pretty project!

    I am so glad you came by to link up to the party at Embracing Change!
    Please come back this week again! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, these are for real so adorable! And you make them seem so easy, but I always have trouble making flowers! But I really like the look of these! I would love for you to stop by our Naturally-Nifty Linky Party and link this up!!

    www.natural-nester.blogspot.com

    I look forward to seeing more of your stuff!
    -Your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  19. super cute roses. I would love if you would link them up to my new link party.

    http://momslifevents.blogspot.com

    Can't wait to see what else you create.

    ~Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrads! This was the most viewed link at the Whatever Goes Wednesday Party last week at Someday Crafts. I am highlighting it this week.
    Grab my 'featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it, and the colors are fabulous! I'd love for you to link it up to Crafty Cousins!

    http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-i-wore-sunday-week-11.html

    ~Natalie @ Crafty Cousins

    Holla! We're your newest followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial with us! I am a knitter currently trying to made headbands for basically babies but really pretty much anyone and I REALLY needed a flower that I could use for decorating them. This is the perfect thing! So again Thanks so much for sharing!
    RoseAnne Boone
    HandknitwithHeart@Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  23. BEAUTIFUL!!! And an easy to follow tutorial!!! Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello there, its so wonderful of you to post up this tutorial...unfortunately,after a few attempts I still did'nt manage to make it (silly me)..so,I'm wondering if you could make a video on how to do it? really sorry if this is burdening you..anyways, best of luck in whatever you're doing and keep rocking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi PC, I've featured your Walnut Rose tutorial today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/05/threading-your-way-features_26.html

    Please ignore my previous comment as I had the wrong URL.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for a great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for a great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delighted that I found your site, fantastic info. I will bookmark and try to visit more frequently.
    tutor

    ReplyDelete
  29. thank you for a beautiful tutorial , I love itso much ^_^ ,, hope u can visit my handmade site, at http://www.grosiraksesoriswanita.net/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi PC,

    I need help! I cannot get my triangle to bend backwards and look like yours! What am I doing wrong?! :( I'm not very good with picturing things and visual stuff. I have been trying for 30 minutes now. :'( Is there any way you can do a short video or the picture flipping process? Also, how wide and how long is the ribbon?

    Thank you for your time,
    sewmommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found this link, hope it helps!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpuzPZKlbuM

      Delete
  31. Gracias!!! Es una rosa hermosa, ya la hice, me costo un poco pero lo logre!!! Abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow....I've been looking for an easy rosebud tutorial...and I finally found it here. Thanks a lot for sharing. Really love this!

    ReplyDelete
  33. hope i can do it and create more beautiful things,thnk 4 tutorial

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...drop a line so I can visit your blog too!